Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Reading Response:

Alexie Article: I thought that this was an incredibly powerful piece. I remember my dad getting me this book a number of years ago and I never got around to reading it. Now, I want to. I think it is important to allow teens access to as much reading material and knowledge as possible. As Alexie said, teens are living these scenarios. They do not need to be hidden from them. I also think that Native Americans are an extremely underrepresented demographic. It is refreshing to hear the point of view of Native Americans, even (especially) when it points out the contemporary cultural struggles, systematic issues, and daily plight on reservations.

Morris Article: I thought that Morris had some good points about the de-racializing and de-genderizing of the United States. Although I agreed with much of what he said, I wish he would have stopped spoiling shows and movies that I haven't finished yet. I did appreciate his references to Classic Rock.
      It is interesting how quickly the country is speeding towards all of these social barriers and binaries being broken down. It will be interesting to see how everything plus out with the current political climate and in this time where everything must be so politically correct. Will there be a backlash?

Bunn Article: When attending my Christian high school, I had to take a theology course every year. During my junior year, while studying the Old Testament, we were taught to use the "circles of context" in order to better understand the reading. Looking back, I see that we were being taught how to RLW. It is important to know the author, the purpose, the author, and the genre to fully understand the work.
      I also liked how the author of this piece taught that a reader should take into consideration how the author chose to write and to question it. Would I have done anything differently? I have never really thought of reading in this light, and I plan on trying it out to improve my literary comprehension and my own writing ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment